Vice President, Division 4
Representing all or parts of:
Azusa, Baldwin Park, Covina, Glendora, Irwindale, West Covina
Mr. Alfonso “Al” Contreras was elected to Upper District’s Board of Directors in November 2016, representing Division 4 and is currently serving as the Vice President. Director Contreras was first elected to the Upper District Board in 2002 and served two consecutive 4-year terms. During his first two terms, he was appointed as President and Secretary/Treasurer by the Board. While on the Upper District Board, he also held appointments on the San Gabriel Basin Water Quality Authority Board and the Main San Gabriel Basin Watermaster Board.
Prior to Upper District, Director Contreras was elected to the Board of Directors of the Valley County Water District; a position he held from December 1997 to March 2005 and December 2013 to the present. During his tenure at Valley County Water District he has served in the capacity of Board President, Chair of the Public & Community Affairs Committee, and a member of both the Capital Investments & Rates and the Administration Committees. While on the board, Valley County Water District in collaboration with other water agencies in the San Gabriel Valley, constructed the Baldwin Park Operable Unit. At the time of its completion, it was the largest water quality treatment plant west of the Mississippi.
Director Contreras is a retired Compliance Manager who spent 35 years employed with Southern California Edison. His community and professional affiliations include:
- President and Founder, Baldwin Park Sister Cities Association (2003–current)
- Director and Treasurer, Rebuilding Together, San Gabriel Valley (2013–2015)
- Member, Chamber of Commerce, Cities of Baldwin Park and Irwindale (1990–2000)
- Appointed Planning Commissioner at the City of Baldwin Park (1995-1997)
- 2003 Baldwin Park Citizen of the Year
- Former Chair and member – Mid Valley Democratic Club
- Director Contreras holds a Bachelor’s of Science Degree in Recreation Education with a minor in Spanish from California State University, Los Angeles.
Director Contreras is married with four adult children and eight grandchildren.