Upper San Gabriel Valley Municipal Water District
Where Solutions Flow
602 E. Huntington Drive, Suite B., Monrovia, CA, 91016 | (626) 443-2297

Moments in History: The Formation and Incorporation of Upper District

Upper District’s 60th Anniversary Newsletter Series

January 2020: Moments in History 

December 2019: Where Does Our Local Water Supply Come From?

 


“Why A Municipal Water District Should be Formed for the Upper San Gabriel Valley” – White paper published and distributed by the Upper San Gabriel Valley Water Association urging voters to sign the petition to create a municipal water district. August 1958

 

Petition circulated to place a measure on the ballot for the December 8, 1959 special election in the San Gabriel Valley. This measure asked voters if they favored the creation of a municipal water district. 1959 

 

Newspaper articles published urging voters to vote in favor of creating Upper San Gabriel Valley Municipal Water District for imported water. December 4, 1959

 

Los Angeles County Board of Supervisors certified the results of the December 8, 1959 election and ordered the formation of the municipal water district. With overwhelming support, 83% of the voters were in favor of creating the district. Certification from the Secretary of State incorporating the Upper San Gabriel Valley Municipal Water District. Signed and certificated by California Secretary of State Frank M. Jordan. January 7, 1960

 

Minutes of the first and subsequent Board of Directors meetings in 1960.

 

The official Oath of Office documents from five board of directors. They were sworn in as representatives of Upper District. The first five directors of Upper District sworn into office are J. Ercel Cleminson, Howard Hawkins, William Foerster, Robert Radford and Frank Vachon. January 11, 1960

 

Directors prepare for a Board of Directors meeting. From top left, Board Members Howard Hawkins, Travis “Tag” Manning, from bottom left, Alfred Jorgensen, Burton Jones and Conrad Reibold. 1970s

 

To preserve its history, Upper District invited key people involved in the early days of the District to record their memories on videotape. Gathering for the taping session were, from left, Robert Nicholson Jr., Ralph B. Helm, Jane Bray, Travis “Tag” Manning, Thomas Stetson and Howard Hawkins. 1997 

 

Groundbreaking of the Whittier Narrows Recycled Water Pump Station. First recycled water project of Upper District in partnership with Los Angeles County Sanitation Districts. From left, Robert Nicholson from San Gabriel Valley Water Company, Former Director Ken Manning, Former Supervisor Gloria Molina, Former Director Frank Forbes, Director Anthony Fellow, Commissioner Jayne Harkins from the U.S. Bureau of Reclamation, and Director Al Contreras. 2005 

 

Ribbon cutting of the Whittier Narrows Recycled Water Pump Station, the first recycled water project of Upper District. The Upper District Board of Directors and its partners dedicated the project to Former Board Member Travis “Tag” Manning. October 2006

 

Dedication plaque to Former Director Travis “Tag” Manning. Whittier Narrows Recycled Water Pump Station, October 2006

 

Ribbon cutting ceremony of the Rio Hondo College and Mill Elementary School Water Recycling Project. From left, Director Anthony Fellow, Congresswoman Grace Napolitano and Former Director Ken Manning. May 29, 2003