Solar Cup is a youth program hosted by the Metropolitan Water District of Southern California that provides high school teams an opportunity to build and prepare a solar powered boat over a seven-month timeline and compete in a three- day sprint and endurance competition. The event is the culmination of several months of planning and building that offers student participants an opportunity to learn about natural resources, the development/use of alternative fuel sources, the protection of water quality, as well as program management skills. Upper District sponsors local high school teams to participate in the program.
Solar Cup 2.0
In response to COVID-19 pandemic, Metropolitan modified this year’s program to Solar Cup 2.0. Metropolitan will not host the Solar Cup competition event scheduled for May 15-17. Solar Cup 2.0 provides current registered and sponsored teams a revised curriculum of assignments to successfully complete and submit in an online format. The new program will be an individual student submission event. Each Monday, challenges in engineering, art, careers, watersheds and the re-imagined public service announcement will be uploaded with a challenge due date. Contact Elena Layugan for additional details.
Upper District Teams
Upper District is proud to sponsor the following high school teams:
- Don Bosco Tech High School
- Los Altos High School
- Mountain View High School
- Sierra Vista High School
Solar Cup 2020 three-day challenge has been cancelled this year due to safety and health precautions as a result of COVID-19.
Benefits of the Program
Solar Cup provides students with:
- Hands-on opportunity to work with alternative energy sources.
- Opportunity to use critical thinking and problem-solving skills.
- Experience in working as a team.
- Awareness of potential technology that can be developed to help conserve water and energy.
- Awareness of the diversity of engineering and esign careers related to the water industry and better understanding of the need for responsible use of natural resources.