Upper District Celebrates 60 Years
Upper District is celebrating six decades of innovation, conservation, and good water management. The District was formed by the voters on December 8, 1959 to help sustain adequate imported water supplies for the rapidly growing San Gabriel Valley. It has played a vital role in supplementing local water supplies by importing water from the State Water Project to replenish the Main San Gabriel Basin. Today, Upper District has taken a leadership role in educating the public on their local water supply and the benefits of water efficiency practices.
60th Anniversary Newsletter Series
Blast Into Upper District’s Past
Historical photos over the past 60 years.
Board Director of Upper District stands on USG-3 Connection in San Gabriel Canyon.
Daily Tribune, July 15, 1960 – Newspaper articles published about the studies seeking alternative sources of water.
Water Supply for the San Gabriel Valley, 1963 – Pamphlet distributed by Upper District and other organizations urging voters to vote YES on the March 12, 1963 election.
Foothill Feeder, Proposed Service connection, September 2, 1969 – Upper District accepted Metropolitan Water District plans for the construction of the USG-3 Connection in the San Gabriel Canyon.
Agreement for construction by General Manager Henry Mills of Metropolitan Water District of Southern California for the USG-3 Connection.
Directors prepare for a Board of Directors meeting. From top left, Board Members Howard Hawkins, Travis “Tag” Manning, from bottom left, Alfred Jorgensen, Burton Jones and Conrad Reibold. 1970s
“Why A Municipal Water District Should be Formed for the Upper San Gabriel Valley” – White paper published and distributed by the Upper San Gabriel Valley Water Association urging voters to sign the petition to create a municipal water district. August 1958
Petition circulated to place a measure on the ballot for the December 8, 1959 special election in the San Gabriel Valley. This measure asked voters if they favored the creation of a municipal water district. 1959
Newspaper articles published urging voters to vote in favor of creating Upper San Gabriel Valley Municipal Water District for imported water. December 4, 1959
Los Angeles County Board of Supervisors certified the results of the December 8, 1959 election and ordered the formation of the municipal water district. With overwhelming support, 83% of the voters were in favor of creating the district. Certification from the Secretary of State incorporating the Upper San Gabriel Valley Municipal Water District. Signed and certificated by California Secretary of State Frank M. Jordan. January 7, 1960
Minutes of the first and subsequent Board of Directors meetings in 1960.
The official Oath of Office documents from five board of directors. They were sworn in as representatives of Upper District. The first five directors of Upper District sworn into office are J. Ercel Cleminson, Howard Hawkins, William Foerster, Robert Radford and Frank Vachon. January 11, 1960
To preserve its history, Upper District invited key people involved in the early days of the District to record their memories on videotape. Gathering for the taping session were, from left, Robert Nicholson Jr., Ralph B. Helm, Jane Bray, Travis “Tag” Manning, Thomas Stetson and Howard Hawkins. 1997
Groundbreaking of the Whittier Narrows Recycled Water Pump Station. First recycled water project of Upper District in partnership with Los Angeles County Sanitation Districts. From left, Robert Nicholson from San Gabriel Valley Water Company, Former Director Ken Manning, Former Supervisor Gloria Molina, Former Director Frank Forbes, Director Anthony Fellow, Commissioner Jayne Harkins from the U.S. Bureau of Reclamation, and Director Al Contreras. 2005
Ribbon cutting of the Whittier Narrows Recycled Water Pump Station, the first recycled water project of Upper District. The Upper District Board of Directors and its partners dedicated the project to Former Board Member Travis “Tag” Manning. October 2006
Dedication plaque to Former Director Travis “Tag” Manning. Whittier Narrows Recycled Water Pump Station, October 2006
Ribbon cutting ceremony of the Rio Hondo College and Mill Elementary School Water Recycling Project. From left, Director Anthony Fellow, Congresswoman Grace Napolitano and Former Director Ken Manning. May 29, 2003