Create your Better Yard and Save Water
Are you looking to save water while maintaining a beautiful landscape? Whether you are a master gardener or have little patience for lawncare, you can make your yard more attractive and functional while also saving water. Enhance your landscapes with water-saving techniques and technologies that fit your lifestyle and yard type.
Check out the eight different landscape types below to see which one might match your yard and lifestyle. Once you have found your better yard, learn how you can upgrade your landscape and save water with WaterSense labeled product and smart practices.
Are you a master gardener with a variety of annuals, perennials, and vegetables in your yard? Is your landscape lush, and do you require efficient irrigation performance in a variety of climates? If you’re going for Backyard Beauty, consider these tips for your better yard:
- Plant flowers that are native to your region and don’t require much watering beyond normal rainfall.
- Group plants in hydrozones by watering needs.
- Consider installing a microirrigation system that delivers water slowly and over a longer period of time.
- Use a WaterSense labeled weather-based irrigation controller that will tailor your landscapes watering schedule based on local weather and landscape conditions.
- Hire a certified landscape irrigation professional to conduct an audit of your irrigation system to help you find ways to improve efficiency.
Dog Digging Dilemma
Are you a tech-savvy pet owner who thinks your phone isn’t the only thing that should be smart? Do you want flower beds kept safe from digging paws? Is your irrigation system controlled with a clock timer? Solve your Dog Digging Dilemma with your better yard:
- Replace some of your turf with hardy plants that can withstand pets.
- If you are a technology lover, install a WaterSense labeled weather-based irrigation controller that can connect to your smartphone and water only when needed.
- Conduct a sprinkler spruce-up every spring to find any sprinkler components that need repair. Replace any broken spray sprinkler bodies with WaterSense labeled models.
Does your yard have an in-ground sprinkler system, and your home have high water pressure? Is your yard packed with playground equipment and kids over for playdates, leaving little free time? Focus on your Playdate Priorities instead of lawn maintenance with your better yard:
- Replace turf with mulch in high-traffic play areas.
- Incorporate low-watering-using plants to reduce maintenance and irrigation needs.
- If high water pressure is an issue, install WaterSense labeled spray sprinkler bodies that reduce misting and uneven coverage.
- Install a WaterSense labeled weather-based irrigation controller to do the thinking for you in terms of when and how much to water.
Is your lawn the envy of the neighborhood? Are you picky about what you plant and when to water? Do you also like to practice sports with the kids in the backyard? Focus on Family Fun and not on lawn care in your better yard:
- Install WaterSense labeled spray sprinkler bodies to ensure even coverage even under high water pressure.
- Add soil moisture sensors that can override scheduled irrigation when plants don’t need water.
- Conduct a sprinkler spruce-up every spring to find leaks and broken components.
- Enlist a professional irrigation auditor certified by a WaterSense labeled program to help.
Are you a busy working parent who wants to spend more time with the kids than your lawn? Instead of an in-ground sprinkler system, do you water with a hose hooked up to a sprinkler? Stop mowing and start Low-Maintenance Living with your better yard:
Are you a city-dweller with little outdoor space and a desire to make the world a better place? Do you grow your own vegetables and flowers in your backyard or balcony? Are you the do-it-yourself type, or at least willing to learn by watching a YouTube video? Turn your Urban Oasis into your better yard:
- Plant drought-tolerant flowers that are native to your region and that will require little supplemental watering beyond normal rainfall.
- Plant flowers in hydrozones based on their watering requirements.
- Add mulch around plants to reduce evaporation and maintain healthy soil.
- Install drip irrigation hooked to a hose bibb with a soil moisture sensor or weather-based irrigation controller.
Do you love to entertain outdoors, but also like to travel and leave the lawn maintenance to someone else? Are you in the market for a landscape or irrigation system redesign? Your better yard can have Landscape Luxury and use less water:
- Hire an irrigation designer certified by a WaterSense labeled program to maximize system efficiency.
- Organize plants in hydrozones by watering needs.
- Install a mircoirrigation system that delivers water right to the roots and reduces evaporation and runoff.
- Incorporate WaterSense labeled spray sprinkler bodies and a weather-based irrigation controller into your new system.